Without mobile devices such as Smartphone, Tablets, e-reader etc., we can’t think about our daily life, isn’t it?
I too love to check message, chat in whatsApp,face book ,surfing net, and check my inbox many more every day and it is really unstoppable for me as of now. And I believe you also spend texting at least 2 to 4 hours a day like me in your smart phone.
But why I am telling you all such known cases? I have felt the effect during my daily work on my mobile phone and going further on net I found how it slowly damage our spine ! You may know and heard about “Text Neck”, yes this texting on mobile device is called “Text Neck”.
How texting on mobile devices damage your spine?
When we doing text or using mobile devices our head begin to move forward from its balanced position and the weight of the head increases gradually. In fact for every 1 inch your head moves forward the relative weight of the head over body doubles due to the effect of the gravity.
A new study published in the journal of Surgical Technology International and it stated that the typical texting and mobile surfing posture is the equivalent of placing 60-lbs / 27 –kg of weight on our neck.
If we consider two hours a day , we surfing mobile devices , then that will add up to at least 700 hours a year , mean at least 700 hours of more stress we give to our spine in each year..!!!
Think to start Meditation !
Below are most common effect faced with Text Neck or texting by looking down during use mobile devices:
- Pain felt in the neck, shoulder, and back
- Pain in the arm, fingers, hands, wrists and elbows
- Headaches, numbness, and tingling of the upper extremities
- Text Neck may even lead to early onset of arthritis and the potential for decreased lung capacity.
I experienced first two points personally. Do you have any similar type of issue?
Refer bellow images which describe the scenario of Text Neck :
Image source: Assessment of Stresses in the Cervical Spine Caused by Posture and Position of the Head by Kenneth K. Hansraj, MD, Chief of Spine Surgery, New York Spine Surgery & Rehabilitation Medicine, New York, New York. Published in Surgical Technology International.
Here are the recommendations, when you do texting how to prevent text neck:
- Avoid keeping your mobile phone or devices at your chest or waist level which forces you to push your head down and forward. Hold it up to chin level.
- Your eyes have a range of motion, use this to read device instead tilt your head towards mobile phones.
- Increase the readable of your mobile phone or devices screen so that you can read easily without peering/hunching. You may use the default front size and adjust brightness and/contrast from setting menu or use zoom function.
- Take a break on regular interval
In addition I will recommend you to follow Hansraj tips to do regular stretches for your neck and back:
- To keep the joints in your neck limber, move your head from left to right several times and touch your ear to your shoulder on both sides.
- Place your hands on your head to give some resistance as you push your head forward, and do the same as your push your head back. This strengthens the ligaments and muscles that support your neck.
- When standing in a doorway, extend your arms and push your chest forward. This stretches and strengthens “the muscles of good posture.”
Hope it will be beneficial for you, if so then please don’t forget to share with your friends and family.
Latest posts by Sudipta Kr Maiti (see all)
- 30 Latest Motivational Quotes about Life to Inspire You Right Now - July 22, 2017
- Personal Beliefs and Values Which Can Change Your Life Instantly - July 6, 2017
- Do you know your daily time wasters and how to manage them - June 20, 2017