Table Of Contents
- 1 1. Nothing will be change until you do.
- 2 2. True wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
- 3 3. Live with honor in the world.
- 4 4. Virtue is not given by money
- 5 5. Eat and drink only to live.
- 6 6. Change is natural.
- 7 7. Luxury is artificial poverty
- 8 8. God knows the best.
- 9 9. Don’t let other people do your thinking for you.
- 10 10. Be impeccable with your word.
- 11 11. Build friendship slowly.
- 12 12. All men’s souls are immortal.
- 13 13. Never return evil for evil.
- 14 14. Explore in the world.
- 15 15. Never stop wondering.
Socrates was a classical Greek philosopher on modern western thought. His philosophy influences millions of people in this world from the ancient time. I want to share with you some of his most important life lesson which can change your thought about life.
1. Nothing will be change until you do.
“Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity.”
“Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.” Click To Tweet
“Let him that would move the world first move himself.” -Socrates
2. True wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
“To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge.”
“True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us.”
“I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.”
“I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.” – Socrates
3. Live with honor in the world.
“The shortest and surest way to live with honor in the world, is to be in reality what we would appear to be; and if we observe, we shall find, that all human virtues increase and strengthen themselves by the practice of them.”
“Beware the barrenness of a busy life.” -Socrates
4. Virtue is not given by money
“I do nothing but go about persuading you all, old and young alike, not to take thought for your persons or your properties, but and chiefly to care about the greatest improvement of the soul. I tell you that virtue is not given by money, but that from virtue comes money and every other good of man, public as well as private. This is my teaching, and if this is the doctrine which corrupts the youth, I am a mischievous person.” – Socrates
5. Eat and drink only to live.
“Worthless people live only to eat and drink; people of worth eat and drink only to live.”
“The un examined life is not worth living.”
“The really important thing is not to live, but to live well. And to live well meant, along with more enjoyable things in life, to live according to your principles.” – Socrates
6. Change is natural.
“The un examined life is not worth living.” Click To Tweet
“If you don’t get what you want, you suffer; if you get what you don’t want, you suffer; even when you get exactly what you want, you still suffer because you can’t hold on to it forever. Your mind is your predicament. It wants to be free of change. Free of pain, free of the obligations of life and death. But change is law and no amount of pretending will alter that reality.” -Socrates
7. Luxury is artificial poverty
“He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.”
“Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty.” -Socrates
8. God knows the best.
“Our prayers should be for blessings in general, for God knows best what is good for us.” – Socrates
9. Don’t let other people do your thinking for you.
“To find yourself, think for yourself.”
“Employ your time in improving yourself by other men’s writings so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.” – Socrates
10. Be impeccable with your word.
“False words are not only evil in themselves, but they infect the soul with evil.” – Socrates
11. Build friendship slowly.
“Be slow to fall into friendship, but when you are in, continue firm and constant.” – Socrates
12. All men’s souls are immortal.
“All men’s souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are immortal and divine.”
“Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty.” -Socrates Click To Tweet
“No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” – Socrates
13. Never return evil for evil.
“One who is injured ought not to return the injury, for on no account can it be right to do an injustice; and it is not right to return an injury, or to do evil to any man, however much we have suffered from him.”
“The end of life is to be like God, and the soul following God will be like Him.” – Socrates
14. Explore in the world.
“I am not an Athenian or a Greek, but a citizen of the world.”
“If you want to be a good saddler, saddle the worst horse; for if you can tame one, you can tame all.” -Socrates
15. Never stop wondering.
“Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.”
“The easiest and noblest way is not to be crushing others, but to be improving yourselves. ” – Socrates
How is you feeling now? Do you have a favorite quote from Socrates that has change your life? Don’t forget to share in the comment bellow.
Latest posts by Sudipta Kr Maiti (see all)
- How To Know You Hold Limiting Beliefs That Stuck Your Life - May 4, 2018
- Do Stress Ball Really work to relief from Daily Stress- a complete guide - March 27, 2018
- What Dr APJ Abdul Kalam said on Work Life Balance must help you - January 27, 2018